World Arthritis Day (WAD) is celebrated on 12 October every year and provides a chance for people and organisations from around the world to join together and raise awareness of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs). The World Arthritis Day website is supported and managed by EULAR, the European League Against Rheumatism.
The aims of World Arthritis Day are:
- To raise awareness of RMDs amongst the medical community, people with RMDs and the general public
- To influence public policy by making decision-makers aware of the burden of RMDs and the steps which can be taken to ease it
- To ensure all people with RMDs and their caregivers are aware of the vast support network available to them.
This year, World Arthritis Day created two campaigns:
- Built environment – from your home to planning a city of the future
- Travel and transport – from local to global mobility solutions
- Life enhancement – from gadgets to online Apps
- Employment – from work place adaptations to ways that help remote working
- Health – from treatments to self-care
- Open – for ideas outside our themes
Leading up to World Arthritis Day on Sunday, the Arthritis Broadcast Network will be sharing some of our favourite submissions from the Vision 2043 competition on our Facebook and Twitter account. Show your support for WAD by joining the Thunderclap and sharing the inspirational entries of the Vision 2043 competition and using the hashtag #worldarthritisday.