The next general election in British Columbia is scheduled for May 9, 2017. What change would you want to see?
Arthritis affects 1 in 5 British Columbia residents, so healthcare to treat the more than 100 different types of the disease is extremely important to the more than 600,000 British Columbians living with the disease. Any party that wishes to become government needs to consider these constituents. To help the parties understand this, Arthritis Consumer Experts (ACE) sent a questionnaire to the candidates of the 2017 BC Provincial Election.
The questionnaire asked the following questions:
- What will your government do to bring a high quality, evidence-based model of arthritis care for all BC residents?
- What will your government do to introduce patient education and exercise programs, such as GLA:D, that have been proven to significantly reduce hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms?
- What will your government do to improve the healthcare and lives of Aboriginals living with arthritis in BC?
- What will your government do to improve the province’s ranking and ensure that BC residents living with arthritis, with the help of the doctors who treat them, are able to choose the medication most appropriate for their specific disease and risk factors?
- How will your government establish better prevention programs and facilitate flexible work arrangements to help reduce the direct and indirect costs of arthritis to BC employers and the BC economy?
- Will your government take steps to increase the number of rheumatolgoists and arthritis trained allied health professionals to ensure timely, specialized care for BC patients with arthritis?
ACE will be collecting Party and individual candidate’s responses. Responses will be posted on the BC Election 2017 section of our website as we receive them.
If you have comments, questions, or concerns about any of the answers provided, please take the time to contact the parties. Please click here to view the contact information for the registered political parties in B.C.
Did their responses help you decide how you will vote? Tell us what you think of their answers. Please contact us by email.