Nunavut Election 2017: On election day, vote for improved arthritis care.
The next general election in Nunavut is scheduled for October 30, 2017. How can we improve arthritis care?
Arthritis affects approximately 12,000 adults aged 15 or older in the Territories (Northwest Territory, Nunavut and Yukon). On behalf of Nunavut voters living with arthritis, Arthritis Consumer Experts (ACE) sent a questionnaire to the candidates of the 2017 Nunavut Election.
Please note that unlike most federal or provincial elections in Canada, elections to the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut are conducted on a non-partisan consensus government model, in which all candidates run as independents rather than being nominated by political parties.
The questionnaire asked the following questions:
- What will your government do to bring a high quality, evidence-based model of arthritis care for all Nunavut residents?
- What will your government do to introduce patient education and exercise programs, such as GLA:D, that have been proven to significantly reduce hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms?
- What will your government do to improve the healthcare and lives of Aboriginals living with arthritis in Nunavut?
- What will your government do to improve NIHB’s ranking and ensure that residents in Nunavut living with arthritis, with the help of the doctors who treat them, are able to choose the medication most appropriate for their specific disease and risk factors?
- How will your government establish better prevention programs and facilitate flexible work arrangements to help reduce the direct and indirect costs of arthritis to Nunavut employers and the territory’s economy?
If you have comments, questions, or concerns about any of the answers provided, please take the time to contact the electoral candidates.
Tell us what you think the key arthritis issues are for Nunavut. Please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.