In this two-part episode of Arthritis Consumer Experts’ Arthritis at Home, we speak to Cheryl Koehn and Dr. Marie Westby. Cheryl is Founder and President of Arthritis Consumer Experts and Marie is a Physical Therapist at Mary Pack Arthritis Program and Clinical Associate Professor at the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of British Columbia and an Associate Member of the Centre for Hip Health and Mobility.
In Part 1, Cheryl discusses, along with Dr. Westby, her experience one year after knee replacement surgery. She looks back at transitioning from six weeks of formal rehabilitation therapy to practicing her own range of motion exercises routine and road cycling training without pain. She also shares with us her scar management steps and post exercise routine. In her words, Cheryl is now “able to engage in my favourite activities without being conscious of a knee that doesn’t respond like the other knee.”
- Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation – Get Moving: Maximizing your activity after a knee or hip replacement
- OASIS Exercise Guide for Knee Replacement Surgery
- Video: Recovery after Joint Replacement Surgery
- Video: Managing Pain and Side Effects after Joint Replacement Surgery
- JointHealth™ insight – Arthritis Awareness Month Series: Part 2 – The Road to Joint Replacement Surgery
- JointHealth™ insight – Arthritis Awareness Month Series: Part 3 – Recovering from Joint Replacement Surgery, a patient’s perspective