The sixteenth episode of Arthritis Consumer Experts’ #ArthritisAtHome features Dr. Jasmin Ma, Arthritis Research Canada Post-Doctoral Fellow, on a special 4-part #MotivationMonday series called “15 minutes of exercise “snacks” during COVID-19 with Dr. Jasmin Ma”. Dr. Ma will lead us through upbeat cardio and strengthening exercises. In an effort to meet the needs of a wide range of abilities, Dr. Ma provides movement and rest options – a choose your own exercise adventure!
Dr. Ma has a passion for helping people of all abilities get active. Dr. Ma is funded by the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, the Arthritis Society, and Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Her research and experiences as a registered kinesiologist and certified inclusive fitness trainer focus on physical activity behavioural science and integrated knowledge translation, working with people with rheumatoid arthritis, spinal cord injury, and other chronic conditions/disabilities to start and stay active.
Important things to note before participating in this exercise session:
- Remember to always protect your joints before, during, and after physical activity or exercise.
- If you have any concerns or questions about whether you should participate in this or any Arthritis At Home episode, please consult with your health care team first.
You will need the following for this exercise session:
1) Comfortable clothing to exercise in
2) Exercise mat – If you don’t have one you can use a piece of carpet, cushions placed together, or a few towels layered on top of one another, but make sure they won’t slip around while you are performing the exercise movements.
3) Two hand held weights (2-5 lbs or 1-2 kgs) – If you don’t have any, you can use soup cans or other items that you can hold on to safely and add a bit of weight and added challenge to your workout
We encourage you to actively participate in this exercise session!
Visit the official page of Arthritis At Home: https://arthritisathome.jointhealth.org
Check out these helpful resources:
Arthritis Research Canada – Physical Activity: It’s never too late to decrease your pain (Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jxolqTlbw
Arthritis Consumer Experts – Exercise and Arthritis (Podcast): https://jointhealth.org/programs-jhpodcast.cfm?id=3&locale=en-CA