The twenty-eighth episode of Arthritis Consumer Experts’ #ArthritisAtHome features Dr. Diane Lacaille, Associate Scientific Director of Arthritis Research Canada/ Arthrite-Recherche Canada, on the re-opening of the provincial economies across Canada and the health concerns for people living with arthritis who are returning to work, including critical questions we are receiving from our viewers. #FactsFriday
Dr. Lacaille is the Mary Pack Chair in Arthritis Research. She is also a Professor of Rheumatology and the Associate Head of Academic Affairs at the University of British Columbia. On this episode, we also discuss with us some of the workplace and arthritis research she has conducted and the tools her team has developed for employees and employers.
Questions from our viewers include:
• Who should return to the workplace (vs. working from home)?
• Do you have to return to work if asked? What are your rights and obligations around returning to the workplace?
• What measures do you need to make sure your workplace has installed to feel safe to return?
• What measures can you take while at work to reduce your risk of COVID-19?
• What about using public transit, particularly for people living with autoimmune types of arthritis?
In the final section of the interview, Dr. Lacaile shares her advice for working from home: proper ergonomics and good practices (scheduling breaks, ensuring to get up and walk, stretch breaks, and having a routine for start up and end of work day). Did you know ACE runs a program looking for Canada’s Best Workplace for Employees Living with arthritis? Learn more about the program here: https://jointhealth.org/programs-best…
Visit Arthritis At Home online: https://arthritisathome.jointhealth.org
Check out these helpful resources:
Arthritis Consumer Experts: Special Report: Arthritis in the Canadian Workforce: https://jointhealth.org/programs-jhin…
Arthritis Research Canada: Arthritis and Work: https://www.arthritisresearch.ca/?s=a…
WorkSafe BC: COVID-19 information and resources: https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-u…